Blog 2.0


Actually, it's probably the 3rd or 4th major revamping of this site. Visually, this upgrade is a little more subtle, but behind the scenes there have have been some major overhauls. A few of the notable differences_

Content Engine_ The biggest change is that I switched from Movable Type to Wordpress. Honestly, both have all the functionality I need, but my webhost (1and1) sets very low timeouts on scripts, which means that MT's rebuilding process often died while trying to crunch it's way through the archives of the site. I hear that the next generation of MT will be sleeker and faster, but I got tired of waiting. Wordpress seems to be working well so far, and the migration wasn't too difficult.

Visual Upgrades_ You'll probably notice the wider margins, along with some minor (and ongoing) tweaks to the style of the site. If time permits, I'm going to overhaul the layout even more, but I'll leave it here for tonight. There are a ton of web designers whose work influences my ideas, notably Kottke, Matt Haughey, and the old stylings of SimpleBits. Unfortunately, I never seem to have the time to put most of those ideas in place. C'est la vie.

Twitter Integration_ I've started using Twitter to do microblogging, and those posts will be appearing here on the site (probably in a daily-digest form). It's a nice way to shoot off quick one-liners as I think of things throughout the day. I'm using Twitter Tools, with a few PHP hacks that I threw in to make it work the way I wanted.

Please let me know if you find anything broken (chris at 'this domain'). More technical stuff under the fold.

Redirects: I elected to start using the more informative URL schema that Wordpress provides, which worried me, since old permanent links will break if not redirected properly. (Spending hours messing around with mod_rewrite is not my idea of a good time.) Thankfully, I found this mt-to-wp redirect script over at Things I’ve Seen, which does some simple db lookups and intelligently redirects you to the appropriate page. So far, it seems to work perfectly.

Still to do_ - Fix the individual post pages and test comment styling/functionality - Tweak the html for standards compliance - A few minor style changes - I'm still not happy with a few things - Fix old relative image links that probably got hosed by the new URL schema - Create a landing page at chrisamiller.com, instead of the placeholder text that's been there for something like 5 years. (gee, time flies...) I'm thinking of just integrating feeds from this blog, flickr, twitter, del.icio.us, etc.

Comments

comments powered by Disqus