I have a list on my computer of design and usability tips that I look over whenever I sit down to design the layout of a new site. Doing so helps keep me focused on making designs that are easy to use and asthetically pleasing.
I regret that i no longer have the sources for these quotes, so I'm unable to attribute them properly, but here are a few of them anyway_
- Keep it simple. The power of good design is in its simplicity
- Pick a few colors and stay with them.
- Never underestimate the power of white space.
- The designer concerned with content is more likely to make a meaningful contribution than the designer who is primarily concerned with form.
- You have three seconds to convince a user not to use the Back button. Three seconds. So, get something on the screen immediately, and make it really interesting.
- People hate to wait.
- People hate to scroll.
- People hate to read.
- So make finding information fast, simple, and accessible.